Sunday, September 16, 2012

I Like Ike

When General Dwight D. "Ike" Eisenhower was the Republican nominee for US President, Irving Berlin composed a campaign song. He called it "I Like Ike." Here is a slight paraphrase of the first chorus:

"I like Ike
I'll shout it over a mike
Or a phone
Or from the highest steeple
Ike the choice of the people."

Farley Filby of the current Republican campaign committee says there have been attempts to come up with a similar song for nominees Romney and Ryan. So far, this is all they have:

"I like Mitt
Although he's a bit of a twit.
We want Romney
'Cause he will fix the econ'my.
We know that he won't quit,
So we like Mitt."

"We like Paul
'Cause he's got a whole lot of gall.
We like Ryan,
Even when he's lyin'.
Yes, there is no denyin',
We like Paul."

Finally, the Democrats are poised to counter with this:

"We like Obama.
With Barrack, there is no trauma.
And with Michelle,
The White House has lots of glama.
So don't let the country be sunk,
Vote for Mr. Slam Dunk,
Go with the guy that you know
And vote B.O.!"



No comments:

Post a Comment