Monday, July 1, 2013

Don Juan of Saskatchewan

In a late-day salute to Canada Day, and in homage to Marty Robbins's classic "El Paso," we offer this ballad of the windswept Prairies. Note: it is essential to employ the standard Saskatchewan pronunciation of place names.

I was sittin' mighty pretty
In Star City
When a gal from Esterhazy
Drove me right crazy.
I'd seen no one cutah
In Sintaluta,
No one as chic
In Maple Creek.
She was the sweetest I'd set eyes on
Since I left Horizon.

Her name was Lorraine,
Rode the train from Belle Plaine.
I won her away from a brute
From Pilot Butte,
And we made a date
To meet in Bien Fait.

But along crawled a snake
From Old Wives Lake,
Wooed her under the moon
In Saskatoon.
I was a little gun shy
From a fight in Punnichy
But no one's quicker on the trigger
Than the Kid from Biggar,
And I was ready to meet
At high noon on some dusty street.
Sigh--he was faster on the draw
In Ogema.
So long, pardners, I'm long gone--
Don Juan of Saskatchewan.


1 comment: