Monday, February 15, 2016

And now, the Playlist for Lent

Lent is the forty-day period of contrition and penitence, and to aid you in these pursuits, we offer our Lenten playlist.

First, "Blow Gabriel Blow" by Cole Porter. Recommended recording: Patti Lupone.

Sample lyric:

"I've been a sinner, been a scamp,
But now I'm willin' to trim my lamp
So blow, Gabriel, blow!"

And then, "Sing You Sinners." Sermonizer of choice: Jeff Healy.

"You're wicked and you're depraved,
And you've all misbehaved,
So if you want to be saved,
Sing, you sinners!"

And who, having heard her, can forget Ivie Anderson singing Duke Ellington's "I Got It Bad, and That Ain't Good"?

"And when the week is over,
And Sunday comes around,
My man and I we pray some,
And gin some,
And sin some..."

Now, don't you feel better?

No comments:

Post a Comment