Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Open Line Table Fan

A friend of this department, battle-weary from another 3-Day Novel siege, staggered in, covered with split infinitives and dangling participles, to reveal something very strange: "My table fan," he said, "is picking up open line radio shows."

The fan, he told us, "functions as every other ordinary fan when turned on. But turned off, it is not only not silent, it distinctly emits the far-off sound of old radio programs. I'm sure I heard Pat Burns the other day."

Curious, indeed. But not an isolated phenomenon. We have heard of people who received radio transmissions through the fillings in their teeth. And we ourselves have a whistling tea kettle that likes to whistle along with the arias on "Saturday Afternoon at the Opera."

We are now carting up a 1935 icebox from storage to see if it might bring back other old radio programs--"Amos and Andy," "The Green Hornet," "Ma Perkins," "The Happy Gang."

Our friend with the fan said, "This gives me a great idea for the next 3-Day Novel contest! I'm going to write my novel in the voice of my table fan!"

Better yet, he could let the fan write the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment