Saturday, March 27, 2010

Don't Quote Me. Okay, Quote Me.

Collectors of memorable quotations probably rank Yogi Berra with Shakespeare, the Bible and Oscar Wilde. The great Yankee catcher, now 85 years old, recently surfaced in a magazine interview.  First question:  "What is your current state of mind?"  Yogi's response:  "You mean now?"

Almost in this league was a comment made by a CBC Radio host the other day.  Speaking of some unusual occurrence, he said, "It's incredible, and almost hard to believe."

But our favorite remark, reported in a New Yorker article by Roger Angell, issued from the writer St. Clair McKelway.  Maeve Binchy, his then wife, was greeted by him at an airport.  She observed that he had been celebrating enthusiastically ("You can observe a lot by watching"--Yogi Berra) and said, "I thought you were on the wagon."

"I was," said McKelway, "but I stepped off for a moment, and when I got back on, someone had taken my seat."


No comments:

Post a Comment