Monday, April 19, 2010

Nine-year-old Author Makes Debut

My nine-year-old granddaughter has written a story.  Quite a good story.  I greet this event with mixed emotions:  awe, pride, and professional jealousy.  Not only does she write better than I do, her typing skills are vastly superior.

I can see the future now:  by the age of 12 she will have written more books than Stephen King and earned more money than Nora Roberts.  I, meanwhile, will continue receiving rejection slips, which have progressed from the coldly impersonal to the insultingly abusive (e.g.:  "What makes you think any editor would publish #$%*& like this, you &*+!$% illiterate?") 

By the age of 15, she will have her own television show and be considered cooler than Tina Fey.

By the age of 17, she will have a wall to herself at Chapters.

By the age of 18, she will have received the Nobel Prize.

I am considering signing my name to her story and submitting it.  Would this be a very bad thing to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment