Friday, July 4, 2014

The Glorious Fourth!

It is, indeed--the Fourth of July, a stirring day for those of us with some of our roots in Bad Axe, Michigan, and a day to think of Louis Armstrong and George M. Cohan, both of whom claimed to have been born on this date.

The right way to begin the day is by sipping coffee from a Barack Obama commemorative mug while listening to Jimi Hendrix's electrified version of "The Star-Spangled Banner." Pour a splash of bourbon in the coffee, if you're so inclined. Then join us for a rousing rendition of this George M. Cohan classic:

I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy,
Yankee Doodle, do or die!
A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam,
Born on the Fourth of July.

I've a Yankee Doodle sweetheart,
She's my Yankee Doodle joy.
Yankee Doodle came to London,
Riding on a pony--
I am that Yankee Doodle boy!

Cue the fireworks!

No comments:

Post a Comment