Thursday, January 29, 2015

Honesty in Interviews

Marshawn Lynch has set a new standard for honesty in dealing with journalists. Those not religiously tuned to the fortunes of the Seattle Seahawks may be unaware that Lynch, the 'Hawks' great plunging back, was twice fined $50,000 by the National Football League for not giving interviews. That's football, folks--you get fined if you say the wrong thing, you get fined more if you don't say anything at all.

In Phoenix for this Sunday's Super Bowl, Lynch did sit for an interview. Appearing at a news conference before scores of sportswriters representing every publication from the New York Times to the Watchtower, Lynch (affectionately dubbed "Beast") gave the same answer to every question: "I'm just here so I won't get fined." He said this twenty-nine times.

Friends, this is honesty. We look forward to future interviewees saying, "I'm just here to promote my movie," "I'm just here to sell my book," "I'm just here to get some votes."

Consider this possible interview:

Peter Mansbridge: "Mr. Prime Minister, is it still possible, given falling oil prices and the descent of the Canadian dollar, that you will be able to bring in a balanced budget?"

Stephen Harper: "Peter, I'm just here to get some votes."

P.M.:  "Mr. Prime Minister, how damaging do you think the inquiry into Senate activities, specifically the activities of senators you appointed, may be?"

S.H.: "I'm just here to get some votes."

P.M.: "Mr. Prime Minister, the polls show Justin Trudeau's hair running well ahead of yours. Are you contemplating a change of hair style?"

S.H.: "I'm just here to get some votes."

P.M.: "Thank you, Mr. Prime Minister, for once again being so forthcoming."

2 comments: