Monday, October 19, 2009

Arf! Arf!

An entertaining article on canine names by Randy Shore in the October 19 Vancouver Sun led me to think of the names of dogs I have known.  My first dog, a Scottish terrier, was named, not surprisingly, Bruce.  My wife's first dogs were named Paddy (a springer spaniel) and Billy (a blonde cocker spaniel).  The name Billy was also her father's name, but if he was disconcerted by her choice of that name for her four-legged pal, he did not show it. 

Later, together, we happily housed three generations of miniature dachshunds:  Rudolph (Rudy), Brunhilde (Hilda), Arnold, Pinky (I know, curious name for a black and tan dog) and Gretel.  I was then working for an advertising agency where a senior artist was named Arnold. He was not amused by our choice of name for one of our dachshunds.  "Every time someone wants a funny name for a pet, a dog or a pig," he exploded, thinking of the TV sit-com "Green Acres," "what do they choose?  Arnold!"

Other dogs in our family circle have been christened Sally, Blaze, Miss Dash and Buddy. Occasionally all have been present at family celebrations, and they seemed to enjoy, or at least tolerate, each other's company.

I have been trying to persuade the dogs to start a blog of their own:  The Dog Blog.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment