Monday, October 5, 2009

Leave it to Steve

"Hi there, fellow Canadians, and welcome to 'Leave it to Steve,' broadcasting live from the keyboard in the fabulous John Diefenbaker Lounge.  I hope you enjoyed my rendition of 'With a Little Help from My Friends,' dedicated to my new best friend, Jack.

"I see we have a request here for the great Mose Alison tune 'Your Mind is on Vacation,  But Your Mouth is Working Overtime.'  The request says 'Please play this for John Baird.'  Signed 'Mike.'  Ha ha!  Very funny, Mike!  Watch for a tax audit coming your way very soon.  And here for you is 'I Can  Dream, Can't I?'   

"A little instrumental noodling next, on 'Sleepin' Bee,' for our friends in the Senate.  And then
a personal choice of mine for Danny Williams of Newfoundland-Labrador:  'Mean to Me.'
Mean to me--why must you be mean to me?
It seems to me you like to see me cryin'.

"Moving on now to a number requested by Jim F. for Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney.  It's the old Steve Allen rocker 'You Gotta Have Something in the Bank, Frank.'

"Finally, we're going to wind up the show with a song that I think has a special message for all you voters.  Ready?  Here it comes:

I only want what's the best thing for you
And the best thing for you would be me.
I've been convinced after thinking it through 
That the best thing for you would be me.
Every day, to myself I'd say, point the way--
What would it be?
I ask myself what's the best thing for you
And myself and I seem to agree
That the best thing for you (big finish coming)
The best thing for you--would be me!

"That's it for now from 'Leave it to Steve.'  Good night and good voting!"


No comments:

Post a Comment