Sunday, October 18, 2009

Tee Shirt Therapy

I was feeling a trifle overdrawn in the pep and energy department, as Bertie Wooster might say, but then I put on my "Bad Influence" tee shirt, and my mood was instantly elevated!  Astonishing how a change of garb can cheer a chap (and astonishing how easily one can slip into Woosterspeak).

The "Bad Influence" tee shirt, produced to promote a film of that title, was given to me by my movie biz son, who gave me also a "Talk Radio" tee, both of which I enjoyed wearing around a summer church camp.  My jazz saxophonist son gave me a Jazzmanian Devils shirt, heralding "Gangsters of Swing," a tee which has brought me odd looks in the elevator.  My daughter the writer made me a tee lettered "The Blue Streak," which I wear while slogging around the track or the Squint Lake trails.  And the New York dance critic Elizabeth Zimmer sent me a Nathan's Famous tee shirt which shows a jolly frankfurter, swathed in mustard, surfing.

I once gave my wife a tee shirt lettered "Still Perfect After All These Years," which she felt to modest to wear.  So I wore it.

Thinking of tee shirt therapy, I was reminded of a currently mildly popular song, in which the key line seems to be "Everything's okay-I've got my sweater on."  Switch "sweater" to "tee shirt," and I'll sing along.  Wearing my Pavarotti tee shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment