Friday, July 2, 2010

Dream On, Sir Steve

Conversation overheard at 24 Sussex Drive:

Prime Minister Harper:  Ah, excuse me, Your Majesty.  I know you're intently studying that form, doubtless something to do with the highest level of foreign policy, but something has occurred to me.

Elizabeth II:  Who do you like in the Queen's Plate, Mr. Harper?

SH:  Uh..I'm afraid that's outside my area of expertise.  But what I wanted to say--

EII:  How about Big Red Mike?  Think there's a chance?

SH:  Um.  The thing is this, Your Majesty--

EII:  Or perhaps Deep Cloud Dancer.

SH:  (speaking very rapidly)  I wonder if Your Majesty has noticed how many Prime Ministers of Canada were knighted.  I mean, look at the list:  Sir John A. Macdonald, Sir Wilfred Laurier, Sir Robert Borden, Sir John S. Thompson, Sir Alexander Mackenzie, Sir Mackenzie Bowell, Sir Charles Tupper, Sir John J.C. Abbott. Many of my predecessors, knighted by--ha ha--your predecessors.

EII:  Who We Gonna Call.

SH:  Well, Your Majesty, I assumed you would know that.

EII:  It's the foal's name:  Who We Gonna Call.  Running in the Queen's Plate, July Fourth.

SH:  Oh.  Well--ha ha--what are the odds on a knighthood?

EII:  Moment of Majesty!  Now there's a name I like! 

Steve sits at piano, plays "I've Got the Horse Right Here."

No comments:

Post a Comment