Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Glorious Fourth

Here we are at the Glorious Fourth of July, and the Pointless Digressions crew raises a glass to our southern cousins, particularly to the ever-bright memory of Louis Armstrong, born this date.  (Well, that's what Louis said, and even if some writers dispute that, we'll go with Satch.)

Another American to burst on the scene with the rockets' red glow was George M. Cohan, who penned these lines:

"I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy,
 Yankee Doodle, do or die.
 A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam,
 Born on the Fourth of July.

 I've a Yankee Doodle sweetheart,
 She's my Yankee Doodle joy.
 Yankee Doodle came to town
 Riding on a pony--
 I am that Yankee Doodle boy!"

A fine day to all, especially those with roots in Bad Axe, Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment